Class Assignment Week 7

An elderly lady has died following a fire in a cinema in Melbourne last night.

The deceased was among the 250 patrons safely evacuated from the historic Gypsy Rose theatre, but died shortly after from an asthma attack and shock.

The historic cinema, which opened in 1910, was badly damaged in the fire and is unlikely to reopen.

Sergeant Bill Frost from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade said the building was found to have a faulty sprinkler system and it was fortunate that everyone was evacuated in time. 

Another Metropolitan Fire Brigade member said dozens of cinemas across Melbourne were potential death traps due to their age and a lack of council inspections to test fire regulations.

The Prime Minister’s wife was amongst those watching the film, but was evacuated safely before the flames took hold.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s